Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Future Sewing Space

With the coming addition to my family my current sewing room is going to be turned into the baby’s room. So that means I have the huge task of rearranging all my stuff and creating 2 new rooms. My sewing room currently looks like this…
It looks a little “stuffed” in there probably because I have way too much stuff for the space. This room will be turned into the baby’s room. I’ve bought the fabric I’m going to use in a non-gender jungle theme. It’s so cute and I’m excited to get started. Anyways, I will talk more about the baby’s room later. Now I want to talk about my sewing room. My future sewing room will be moved into a corner in my basement. Well actually I should say I will have 1/4th of the basement to transform into whatever I wish. Currently it looks like this…
Nothing exciting to look at! I have tons of cleaning to do before I can even get started on decorating. My DH is helping me as he can and once I’m home again full time I’ll be able to focus strictly on this area. We’ve already moved our additional pantry/food storage shelves to the other side of the stair case. I’ve also got tons of books boxed up for donation. I inherited many boxes full of paperback books from my grandmother when she passed away. I’ve finally decided that there is no way I’ll ever read them all so it’s time to let them go. The next goal is to pick an area in the mess and de-clutter it as best as possible. I’ve decided the best thing to do is donate as much as I can. I don’t want to deal with a garage sale or attempt to sell thing online like I’ve done in the past. I want this done quickly with as little effort as possible.
The area is about 20’X30’, a big step up from the current 13’X13’ room! We’ll need to put up some better lighting (hopefully). I don’t know if a ceiling will be put it. Maybe it will look good or good-enough if it gets painted. The walls are concrete, which have been painted with a sealant. I’ve asked (read: begged) my husband to have drywall but he still hasn’t given in. The walls may get painted to a more decent color without drywall. If I want to hang pictures or anything I will have to hang them by a cord from the ceiling. I think I might be able to deal with that. The floors… I’d love to get those carpet tiles to put down. My parents have them in their basement and they are wonderful. I don’t think I’ll be able to handle bare feet on the cold concrete floor. Then once all that stuff is done I’ll be able to move my sewing room furniture down there and I will probably decorate as I go. I have no theme picked out. I’d just like functional and comfortable. This will probably be the beginning of finishing our basement. My husband has been talking about doing it forever and, well, the time has come. I am excited to get started and I will keep you up to date as time and progress goes on!
Talk to you soon!
~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews