Thursday, October 16, 2008

Applying Binding to a Curved Edge Tutorial

I just realized I should have put a rating on the tutorials, oops, sorry! This tutorial is for someone who is an intermediate sewer, some basic knowledge is needed.

This is my second post in my Binding Tutorial Series. Check out the first post in this Series here on how to make biased binding.

Applying binding to a curved edge is quiet simple! If you have biased binding, that is binding that is cut on a 45 degree angle from the selvage, turning curves is very easy. You can see how to make your own biased binding here.

For this project I am applying ¼ inch biased binding to the curve on 2 apron pockets.

Begin with biased binding that has been ironed flat.

Begin pinning at the top edge, leaving a tail that will be trimmed evenly later on. When you get to the curve your biased binding will easily curve to fit. I use lots of pins to hold it in place.

For mine, because I’m sewing a ¼ inch binding I will sew just inside ¼ inch for the seam allowance.

Remove the pins, flip the binding over & iron.

Iron the best you can around the curves. They won’t lay flat at this stage, so don’t worry about that!

I then place a pocket wrong side up & fold the outside raw edge of the binding to meet the raw edge of the pocket edge. Finger press or hold in place. This fold may need to be adjusted to fit the next fold.

Flip the folded edge back again until it covers your sewing thread. The raw edge should now be fully encased.

Fold and pin the biased binding as you go. I put lots of pins around the curve to hold it all in place.

Flip your project right side up.

On the right side begin sewing on the binding as close to the inner edge as possible without going off the edge & on to your main fabric.

Remove the pins, iron flat & trim off the top edges. Viola, admire your handiwork!

If you have any questions just let me know!

~*~Heather~*~

6 comments:

  1. Heather, I am in the process of acquiring my first sewing machine so many of your tutorials will be over my head. Still I'll be popping in for some much needed inspiration and encouragement for the times when I just want to give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, Terri! I will try to come up with some more basic tutorials. Don't get down about not being perfect. God knows, no one is. We all have our own God-given talents & I'm here if you ever need help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. This was great! Do you think u could apply this same principal to a curved neckline that needs a drawstring casing? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tawny & Kya- Yes, I think you could make a drawstring casing for a neckline- Just making the binding wide enough to get your string through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for posting this and explaining it so well!! I have always avoided binding because it was such a pain. then I get orders for 5 oven mitts for Christmas! I had to learn how to do it well really fast. Your tutorial was awesome!! You have saved my hair - since I didnt end up pulling it all out in frustration!! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon- Thank you for the kind words! Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews