Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tutorial: Ironing Board Cover

My old ironing board cover was getting cruddy to say the least. Yuck. I don't even like looking at the pictures- but I'll share them with you anyways. So I thought it was time to update it but I didn't want to spend any money or be limited by the selection at the store. So my solution was to create one for myself instead! I took some pictures to show you what I did and I hope I can explain it well enough that you can create one for yourself too. Maybe use that cute fabric you have or match your room décor?

Skill Level: Intermediate

I began by deconstructing (aka taking apart) the old cover. I took out the elastic cord to reuse in the new cover and I cut apart the old cover and laid it out flat.

My old cover had a thin foam padded layer that I didn't want to reuse and didn't want to mess with taking off. Instead, I used 2 layers of flannel for the padding. I'm sure I could have gone out and bought something but flannel is what I had on hand and it works perfectly well!

Anyways, I began by laying the old cover onto my new flannel and cutting out the new one. I left roughly 1-inch all the way around. I did the same with the top/decorative fabric.

My ironing board cover also has a nose tip, which I cut out with roughly a 1-inch seam allowance all the way around.

I layered all my fabrics and stitched on the nose tip. Trim and zig-zag or serge the edge.

Then zig-zag or serge all the way around the main body of the ironing board cover.

Fold over the edge about an inch- this is for the casing. Stitch near the edge, leaving an opening. Insert your elastic cord and sew the opening closed.

Viola! Enjoy your brand new one-of-a-kind ironing board cover!


~Heather~

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this tutorial! It seems pretty straight forward and I LOVE that you would never be restricted to the meager choices of covers at the store again. They never have anything as cool as those pears!

    Mandy
    DrapesOfWrath.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews