Thursday, August 28, 2008

Cloth Wipe Tutorial

Cloth Wipe Tutorial
Sewing Level: Beginner

Step 1) Choose your front and back fabric. For the front I usually pick some kind of decorative fabric. For the back I usually pick a matching flannel. The flannel is the more important part of the cloth wipe as it is soft and absorbent.

Step 2) Figure out what size of cloth wipe you want. I want a 7 inch cloth wipe, which fits in a baby wipe dispenser when folded in half. Add ¼ inch on each side for seam allowance which will mean I want to cut a 7.5 inch square from my fabric. You can make your pattern using old wrapping paper or cut your fabric with a rotary cutter.
Step 3) Cut out as many squares as you want from the front and the back. I was able to get 5 squares out of the fabric I choose.
Step 4) Pin the front and back fabrics together with the right sides facing.

Step 5) Sew, using a ¼ inch seam allowance, around all the edges. Back stitch the beginning and end and at each corner. Leave a 2-3 inch opening.

Step 6) Remove your pins and clip the corners.

Step 7) Turn the cloth right side out though the opening you left.

Step 8) Poke out your corners. I use a fancy mechanical pencil with no lead showing.

Step 9) Tuck in the raw edges on the opening and iron flat. Spraying it with a bit of water will help get a crisper, straighter edge.

Step 10) Go back to your sewing machine and sew a top stitch 1/8 inch from the edge. Back stitch at the beginning and end. When you get 1/8 inch away from a corner, stop, make sure your needle is down, lift up the foot and turn your cloth to sew along the next edge.

Step 11) Enjoy! They are now complete. I usually wash my things after I finish sewing them to wash out the starch and check for durability.

1 comment:

Total Pageviews