Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

This year, I have decided to participate in Lent. I'm not a religious person. I don't hold to one particular religion. I am, however, a spiritual person. Religion and spirituality are two different things in my book. I have come a long way in realizing that.
Beliefs aside, Lent, for me, is about giving something up. It's a time of reflection, thoughtfulness, dreams, goals, hopes and ambitions. This 40 day period is a time of scarcity as we come out of winter. Lent itself means 'Spring'. It's the last push before a time of plenty.
Traditionally, one is to give something up during this time, usually a food item or meat. I will be giving up the internet from 7:00am to 8:00pm every day during Lent. I want to specifically not check my email or Facebook during this daily time period. I am finding that I am constantly checking the computer, or have a window open, and it's very distracting. I should be focused on my work, my kids, or any other number of tasks or goings on that I have. I will also be giving up coffee and alcohol. Giving up these 2 beverages are strictly for my health. I need to not consume so much caffeine and sugar from the coffee and calories and sugar from the alcohol.
Do you participate in Lent? If so, what will you be giving up?
You can learn more about Lent here, here, and here.




3 comments:

  1. I've never observed Lent, but I'm going to now and if you don't mind I think I will go along with yours. This is perfect for me. I realized why I don't get anything done it is because of the computer. I can't give up coffee just yet. I'm off to start Lent one day and 1 hour late. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will work on my typing skills too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making a Lent commitment this year. I have decided to give up snacking. I know it doesn't sound like a lot but I am a sweets-aholic so not having a sweet treat through out the day will not be easy all the time. I tend to snack a lot in the afternoon and after dinner. This is not good for my waist line or my health so it's much needed. I know I can do this! I commend you for giving up coffee and alcohol. I could maybe give up alcohol but not both! Actually, I could never give up coffee as it would make, not only me miserable, but the whole household too :) Maybe I'll give up alcohol too! I can do that!!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews