Friday, May 22, 2009

In the Kitchen… Canning Sweet Potatoes


Last year I learned to can. My husbands’ grandmother taught me. I really value the knowledge and wisdom of the older generations as they have much to teach if you’ll just listen. Plus, frugality is highly important in this economy. I received a large bunch of sweet potatoes as left-overs from the local food bank that I had no clue what to do with at first. I knew they would just spoil if I stored them away. Freezing them also wasn’t a possibility since there was just so much and we wouldn’t be able to eat them all before they became freezer burnt. My other option was to can them! I’m so greatful that I have this skill now. It was a fairly easy process although time consuming. I peeled them all, cut them all up, and placed the cubes into clean jars. Then I poured boiling water on top and screwed on the lids. I processed them in my pressure canner for 50 minutes at 15 pounds pressure. I ended up with 11 quart sized jars! I kept 8 & gave away 3 already to a friend. These will be great to have for future use!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews