Thursday, August 6, 2009

Garden Bouquet Quilt: Month 9- The Pansy


“I want to make a purple pansy,” “I don’t, I want a yellow one.” “Not for me, I want a reddish brown.” Thus spoke the members of the Nancy Page quilt club.

“I don’t see why each one of you can’t make the pansy the color you please. Your choice is dependent on the scraps of material you have and the color you chose for the flowers close to it. If you made a red-orange nasturtium you scarcely want to repeat those tones in the flower next to it. Look your pieces over while I tell you how we will make this flower.

First get the urn block ready, the pattern for that was given much earlier. It is the pieced triangular block which is the lower half of a diamond measuring 12 ½ by 12 ½.

The upper part of the triangle, 17 ½ by 12 ½ by 12 ½ is the piece of white on which the pansy and the two birds are appliquéd.

The patterns for the birds were given much earlier. They may be appliquéd in spare time ahead of each new flower.

Or, if you are varying the color of the birds to match or contrast with the color of the flower you will want to wait until you see what the flower is going to be and until you decided in just what colors you will make it. Once that is decided the rest is simple.

Trace the outline of the flower lightly in place on the upper triangle. This is not necessary. It simplifies the placement of the flower later, but with the small from the paper trace the flower and guide inset given each week it is often omitted.

After the pattern, with its accompanying directions, has been cut leaves and stem onto light weight cardboard.

Now cut out the pattern and you have cardboard cutting pieces.

Lay these on the materials and cut out the cloth. Be sure to allow one-quarter inch on all sides. This is basted under and pressed. And is done before the flowers are appliquéd.

In making the stem use bias tape in green. Other material may be used. If this is done, cut the stem on the bias and cut the material twice as wide as the finished stem will be. Turn raw edges back until
(Pieces of this article are missing along with the ending, seeing as how it was written back in 1931. I have typed out what I have. The main part that is missing is the description on how to appliqué and create a biased stem. You can refer to previous Garden Bouquet Quilt posts on how to do this.)

I haven’t been able to work on my Pansy block so I don’t have anything to show off. I will update this when I do get the chance!

Do you have any Garden Bouquet Quilt blocks to show off? Leave a link to your blog post about it in the comment section or email me a photo at heathers_custom_sewing{at}yahoo.com so I can share with everyone!

I hope you are enjoying this series!
~Heather

Quick Links to:

Month 1: Beginning Instructions, Urn, and Basket Instructions
Month 2, Part 1: The Tulip

Month 2, Part 2: The Saucy Bird
Month 2, Part 3: The Meek Bird
Month 3: The Cactus
Month 4: Lily of the Valley
Month 5: The Wild Rose
Month 6: The Trillium
Month 7: Canterbury Bells
Month 8: Nasturtium
~*~
Hand Appliqué
Machine Appliqué
Alternate Method of Appliqué Tutorial
Biased Binding Tutorial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews