Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Vacation 2009, Part 3

Friday, July 31, 2009 we went to Mount Rushmore. It was very impressive! They had a trail we walked that went down from the entrance towards the foot of the mountain and back up again. There were lots of steps and I didn’t do too bad! At one point in the trail there are several buildings where the original artist’s studio was. We stopped in there and listened to a talk about the artist, the tools used, and why they didn’t finish the carving. It was very interesting! Of course, we took lots of pictures!

After visiting Mount Rushmore we drove around site seeing the Black Hills area. The roads were very winding and curvy! I’m so glad we took my car on the trailer so we didn’t have to drive the RV everywhere. One of the roads we drove has a tunnel through the mountain side that no RV could fit through and the hair-pin turns were a little too exciting for me.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 we went to Crazy Horse. Actually we went there twice that day, once in the morning to see the statue in daylight and to tour the grounds and once at night to watch the laser light show. Crazy Horse is a non-government funded project that was started when a bunch of Native American Indians asked a sculpture artist to carve a monument for all Native American peoples. The artist who designed it worked on the mountain until his death when his children took over for him. They have a wonderful museum full of all sorts of artifacts from all the different tribes. You can also walk through the artists original home. At dark was the laser light show. This basically told the story of the Crazy Horse Monument in laser pictures cast up on the side of the mountain and set to Native American music. We all enjoyed it!

Sunday, August 2, 2009 we drove to the Wind Cave. This cave is one of the largest caves and still hasn’t been totally explored. We took a short tour of the cave. We walked down for awhile and looked at all the different cave features and then we road an elevator back to the top. Ian really liked the cave!

On our way out of the Wind Cave National Park we saw a large herd of buffalo. They were actually all over place and had no fear of our cars. I rolled down the car window to take some pictures of them and Ian kept telling me the put the window back up! He only wanted to look at them if the window was up. He was a little afraid of them!

After that we went to the Mammoth Graveyard in Hot Springs, SD. It was a pretty hot day but luckily the graveyard has had a building built over it so we got to go inside to tour everything! I took lots of pictures and we walked around on the walk way and listened to the tour guide talk about how the place came to be. They still aren’t done excavating everything.

Monday, August 3, 2009, I was too exhausted from all the walking the day before so I decided to stay back at the camp ground to clean up and do some laundry. Justin and Ian took off to go visit Devil’s Tower. Devils Tower is the remnants of the center of a volcano. They took lots of pictures and it looks like they have fun!

Click on the link below to view all the pictures of Part 3!

Stay Tuned for Part 4!

Total Pageviews