Monday, January 3, 2011

Tutorial: Book Binding: Putting It All Together

Awhile ago I learned book binding as a hobby, a way to express myself, and as an alternative to expensive store bought journals. I would like to share with you the knowledge that I've gleaned so that you too can create great looking journals. This is the third post in this series. You can find the first one HERE and the second one HERE. Enjoy!

Skill Level: Intermediate

Supplies:

  • Your previously made journal pages
  • Your previously made journal cover
  • Card Stock
  • Mod Podge- I'm using Matte finish
  • Paint Brush
  • Brayer
  • Something Heavy
  • Wax Paper

Directions:
  1. Cut your card stock to the correct size. For my journal I needed 8.5 inches X 11 inches. Fold in half and crease. The card stock is also called the endpaper.
  2. Apply Mod Podge to the journal cover and stick the endpaper on, crease towards the spine. Using the brayer, roll out any air bubbles. Put a piece of wax paper in the middle of the endpaper to keep the pages from sticking together.
  3. With wax paper between the first and second pages of the journal pages, apply Mod Podge to the top page. Stick the endpaper to the Mod Podge, crease towards the spine and roll out any air bubbles with the card stock.
  4. Repeat with the back cover.
  5. Admire your new journal!
  6. With wax paper between your pages and covers, place your journal under a heavy weight and let dry for at least 24 hours.
  7. When dry admire your freshly made hand bound book!

And this concludes the third post in my book binding series. You can find the first post HERE and the second post HERE. I hope you enjoyed this mini-series on book binding!

I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment!

~Heather~

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I'm extremely untalented in this area, but it did remind me of something. I had to make a cover for my Nook because I didn't love the ones that were ready-made. Have you considered making Nook/Kindle/e-reader covers? It seems like you already know how to do most of the work.

    Here are some examples from Etsy:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/64640240/birds-of-norway-bubble-gum-interior?ref=v1_other_2

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/57323630/the-original-padded-nook-nook-colornew?ref=v1_other_2

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i was wondering if you do anything to the spine to keep it attached or would that interfere with the closing of the end product? im doing this project right now :) thanks for posting this! :D
    alyssa

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews