Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Flora and Fauna- Cloth Doll Fairy Sisters

Join me on my journey to the secret places in the woodlands and beyond where I met these 2 fairy sisters. They began with a dream and came to life with a bit of fabric, yarn, and thread.

I began with a sketch and some ideas. I wanted Flora to be light, airy, girly and fun. And Fauna I wanted to be dark, mysterious, and a thinker.

Then I drew out the body on cotton unbleached muslin with wash-out blue marker.

Then I traced on the face with pencil.

Once I have the bodies prepared I wanted to pick out the hair colors. I'll base the eye color off of these.

Now to pick out the eye and face colors…

Getting ready to hand embroider the face…

And here is Flora and Fauna with the embroidery done…

After that I sew the doll bodies together and cut out the clothing.

Here is Flora and Fauna all sewn up with their shoes on ready to get stuffed!

And here they are stuffed full and ready for some hair and clothes!

To make the hair I begin by crocheting some ovals. This is for the hair cap or a base to attach the strands of yarn.

The hair cap is then pinned in place and sewn on.

Here they are with the hair caps in place.

Then it's time to get cutting all those pieces of yarn!

To attach the yarn hair to the cap, I poke my crochet hook through a space in the hair cap…

Loop the yarn hair in half…

Grab the loop with my hook and pull it through…

Then thread my loose ends through the loop…

And pull tight…

Here is Fauna with her highlights and lowlights all attached…

Then I flip up the hair and begin attaching the main hair color, filling in all the empty spots…

And here is Fauna with her hair done!

Isn't she pretty?

After that I sewed up the clothes and dress them up so they can go outside & play in the apple tree!


Flora and Fauna have both been added to my shop and I hope you like them as much as I do!


~Heather~

1 comment:

Total Pageviews