Monday, October 4, 2010

Muffin Tin Crayons- Tutorial

Last weekend my boys and I made these awesome Muffin Tin Crayons. They are really easy and lots of fun to do.


I've saved up little broken bits of crayon for this project but you could use new crayons too. I just like to repurpose all those little crayons pieces instead of tossing them out.

Begin by removing all the paper. To make it faster you could use a craft knife to cut the paper off but the little ones will just have to use their finger nails.

For this project we're using my mini muffin tins. I rarely use them for real muffins, although I suppose I should. Just unwrap the crayons, break any large ones into smaller ones to fit, and fill up the cups with whatever color combination you and your little ones might like!



Put the muffin tins into the oven at 200* Fahrenheit until melted. I think I left mine in for about 15 minutes. Just watch them because it's cool to see them melt anyway. If you are using large muffin tins they will take longer to melt.

Once they are melted, pull them out and let them cool for a bit. After that put them in the freezer for a little awhile. Putting them in the freezer will help them 'pop' out of the muffin tins really easily.

Now enjoy your new creations!
 


I know this tutorial has been 'done before' but I hope you liked my take on things.

Also, I was thinking that these would make great in birthday gift bags, or as a birthday or Christmas present with a little coloring book. Do you have any other suggestions? I'd love to hear about them!

3 comments:

  1. I think they make adorable crayons!! I bet they were easy for Jamie to hold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He liked all the colors we made but he liked tasting them more. lol We'll eventually get to the point where everything doesn't go in the mouth. I hope that's sooner rather then later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,
    I just came over from Hillbilly Handiworks' blog...How did you figure out how much space you have used on blogger? I want to check mine, but I don't know where to look for how much I've used (I post alot of pics because I'm an artist.)
    If you could let me know where to check it, I'm at http://cindyadkinswhimsicalmusings.blogspot.com

    I love your crayon project--so cute!!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews