Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Unplugged Challenge


Have you ever thought about unplugging.. turning off your computer, TV, and cell phone.. just for a day? Did you ever wonder if you could survive without those things? Do you even remember when no one had them and what they did all day without them?

I have wanted to challenge myself to unplug for awhile now but I keep putting it off for another day (or week). I stay home and I get so fed up with myself when I realize all my time has been sucked away. I've considered completely doing away with my facebook page for that very reason but I don't think I could do that! And I wonder if I could really survive without checking my email or updating facebook or vegging out in front of the TV or texting just for a day and I wonder how much I could accomplish for that day. Well, I'm about to find out!

And, I challenge you... to join me in unplugging one day a week!

Leave the computer off, those emails can wait & if someone really needs you then they can pick up the phone. Turn off the TV, give yourself a little media & commercial break. Don't check your cell phone, turn it off all together or mute it. If you only have a cell phone & not a land line then turn off the bells and whistles that alert you to texts and emails. Resist the urge to check your phone for those texts & emails. *Work and school will be the only reasons to use the computer.

I will post a schedule every month for the days each week that I'll be unplugging. You are welcome to unplug on those days too or pick days that you would prefer.

So what are you going to do on the days you unplug?

Here are some suggestions (if you have anymore, let me know and I'll add them to the list)…

  • Read a book (when was the last time you read a book? Went to the library? 10 days? 10 months? 10 years? Did you even know they still have library's?)
  • If reading isn't your 'thing' then listen to a book on tape/CD (you can check those out at the library too!)
  • Work on a craft/sewing project/quilt/crochet/knit/scrapbook/woodwork/etc.
  • Do your chores (is the laundry still sitting on your bed folded or unfolded? Then go finish it...)
  • Take a walk (if it's cold then put on a coat!) or go play in the snow or ride a bike...
  • Play a game (card game/board game/peek-a-boo with the baby/etc.)
  • Write a letter (you mean people still do things like that?)
  • Start or write in a journal (see note above)
  • Is there a subject that interests you? (ancient religions/biology/astrology) Now would be a good time to study it.
  • Take up a new hobby (photography/embroidery/model car building)
  • Plan and create an elaborate dinner for you and your hunny and eat by candle light, after you put the kiddos to bed… who knows where it could lead and what special tradition you might start by taking the extra time to plan a date like this. ;)
  • Pamper yourself (do your nails/hair/make-up just for the heck of it)
Get creative!

So there you have it! Do you think you can handle it? I hope so!

Link up and spread the Unplugged Challenge!

Grab the Button!

Wanna read about what I accomplished on the days I unplugged? Great! Links are below!

5 comments:

  1. Great idea! I do this myself from time to time, but not a set day. I should probably make it Saturday (fri nite to sat nite sunset) because that is my Sabbath and an excellent time to unplug.

    I will be interested to see if I can do it and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all for unplugging one day a week. I hope I can keep the same schedule as you; but that will depend on my men.

    Have you considered making a button?

    ReplyDelete
  3. *panic*

    I'll THINK about it. I mean, it is a GREAT idea. I'm just in school with some of my classes online and I sell online. I don't know.

    *panic*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy~ that would be the perfect time to unplug!

    Sis~ I will have to look into making a button... thanks for the idea!

    Shannon~ Work & school are the only exceptions to 'plugging back in'! So get on & do your work but then unplug for the rest of the time. Maybe you could use the time to create some more of those pretty jewelry pieces to sell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. post on FB what days you are going to do it and I will try...I will stay off the computer and put my phone to "phone calls" only...BUT I may have to have tv on occasionally to entertain my 2 year old and the 2 year old that I watch everyday. But here it is 10 am and it has not been on yet today!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews