Monday, July 12, 2010

Apple Butter

Ingredients:

Apples- enough to make approx 7 cups of applesauce; I think I used 15-20 of these small/medium apples
2 cups apple cider- I couldn't find any so I used apple juice & instead increased the spices
1.5 cups honey *I like this recipe because it uses honey (a natural sugar) instead of regular sugar
1 tsp (or more) ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp allspice

Directions

Gather your apples and wash them.

Peel, core and quarter the apples.

Put the apple slices in your crockpot with the apple cider (or apple juice).

Cook them until they are tender. I cooked them for 2 or 3 hours on low. You have essentially just made applesauce. You can stop here if you want but you may want to sweeten them to taste.

Add the rest of your ingredients and cook on low for 14 to 15 hours or until the mixture is dark brown.

You can now either freeze it or can it. This batch I put in the freezer because I ran out of time.

To can:
Pack while hot into hot pint jars.

Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes, counting the time after the jars have been immersed and the water returns to a rolling boil.
-OR-
Process pints and jars at 5 pounds pressure in the pressure canner for 5 minutes.


When cool, test for a proper seal. Remove bands and store in a cool dry place.

1 comment:

  1. I am anxious to try sweetening with honey this fall instead of sugar. I've never used juice/cider either. I bet that really helps the flavor!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews