Saturday, September 10, 2011

Riddle Me This...

How does an almost 9 year old put a giant hole in his bed sheets while he sleeps?

Me: (after finding them in the laundry) Ian, what happened to your sheets?
Ian: Iuhuh (translation: I don't know)
Me: Did you do this on purpose?
Ian: NO! I was sleeping so how should I know?
Me: Uh, huh... well... don't do it again.
Ian: (commence eye rolling and annoyed grunts indicating that I just don't 'get it'.)

So, your guess is as good as mine! Buying new ones isn't in the budget at the moment so I decided a little mending would be the way to go. New sheets might be on Ian's christmas or birthday list. :)

These sheets are the jersey knit kind so they are pretty much like a t-shirt material. Well, I searched all over for a color to match but I couldn't find one. LOL I measured the hole to determine how big of a square of t-shirt I'd need, then cut apart the t-shirt and rotary cut the size square I needed. I then pinned it onto the sheet and used a decorative (or zig-zag) stitch around the whole edge. Flip the whole sheet over and cut away the old holey portion. Viola... a mended sheet for pretty much nothing.







2 comments:

  1. Heather, OMG my son has ripped sheets many a times. Soooo frustrating. I can't tell you how many sheets we have been through. It is also a mystery to me how this happens. My hubby did the same thing twice in the 19 years we've been married. I don't know if they just fight with the sheets or what but the sheet always loses! lol I adore your repair idea. I NEVER thought to sew a patch on the sheet. Clever lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. His big ol foot went right through it I guess!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews