Friday, April 22, 2011

Pattern Drafting 101: Sewing Machines


I'm frequently asked to recommend sewing machines to the beginner sewing enthusiast. I thought I would add this to my Pattern Drafting series also.


A basic machine that has a straight stitch and a zig-zag stitch will take you a long way! There is no need to drop a pretty penny on all the bells and whistles. I own a brother CS-6000i. I spent around $150 on it about 2 years ago. I have used it a lot, probably non-stop, and it has held up very well. Keep up on the care and maintenance and a machine could last a life time. This is my 3rd machine. My 1st is still going strong and I gifted it to a friend. My 2nd is an embroidery/sewing machine combo which hardly gets used but still works great. So all you really need to know is get a basic sewing machine and read the manual.

The other machine I recommend getting after you've gained some experience and plan to create a lot of clothing is a serger. Sergers are very handy! Not only do they make your seams look more professional and help your clothing to last longer but you can use it for all kind of decorative edgings. I own a brother Lock 1034D.

If you own a basic sewing machine and a serger you are well on your way to becoming an excellent seamstress. Don't forget to practice!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! I jumped over from the May for Me page to check you out and just say hi. I'm going to follow you.
    The machine I use is the one my mother gave me before she passed away in January. I like the choices of stitches it offers, but it doesn't sew as well as my old one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wild. I just got by new Brother and going to practice on it this weekend. I even blogged about it. Now I know who to go to for questions. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jorge gets asked this question all the time too - his is a cheapy Walmart on sale for $120 and it's still going strong. I want to get him a Serger machine but we have to wait for a bigger RV. Just no room...

    Evielynne

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews