Thursday, April 14, 2011

Quilt Top Troubles

I received this partially pieced quilt top awhile ago. It's another UFO (unfinished object) I got from my father-in-law. My step-mother-in-law never got to finish it before her illness.


I took everything out, took a few pics, and took stock of what I had and what needed done. Four blocks were completed and 52 were in progress for a total of 56 blocks. The blocks would be 11 inches finished and the quilt would by an 8 X 7 block quilt.

I thought this would be an easy project to finish! I have experience sewing curves so I thought 'easy-peasy'. Boy, was I wrong!

I started by sewing one of the finished rays into the corner curve and ran into a huge problem. The pieces don't fit!

I tried re-piecing them.

I even tried sewing together my own ray from the pre-cut pieces that were already there.

Finally, I put my drafting knowledge to good use (thanks dad!) and drew up the design to scale on paper to see where things went wrong. Ah Ha! Problem solved… I learned that the rays were not cut to the correct measurements. I made up some rays that were cut to the correct size and sewed everything together. And I realized to make this work, I would have to create all new rays.

I made one just to see how it would turn out. Much better.

I've tried all kinds of ways to figure out how to make the existing pieces work and I give up! This thing has stressed me out enough! I like the design and if I ever have the time to make a quilt like this then I have the correct pattern.

But this quilt top and I are just not getting along. I have the freedom to do what ever I want with it. So my little helper and I have decided to give it away!

If there is anyone who wants it, just leave me a comment with your email. I only ask for you to pay shipping ($4.95). You will get all the rays, corner pieces, and the extras already cut. Maybe you can get some use out of the fabric, use the rays for appliqué, or design something new from it. I get to keep my little helper though!

The first person who leaves a comment requesting it will receive it. I hope you have better luck then me!

*Sigh- of relief!*

3 comments:

  1. My husband is such a nerd and uses drawings and diagrams when he plans a quilt out - he puts more thought into his quilts then putting it together - drives me crazy but I love the finished product - lol you should see him doing doll clothes... Love your little helper by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your frustration. I just experienced one fail, and finally figured out what to do. I think! Have you thought about just appliqueing the finished rays onto a block? That way you could still have what your step mother-in-law started and hold her memory in that quilt. Just a thought.

    Love the wet bags and baby stuff. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I would try to appliqueing it too. It has to be a bit easier that way. I'll give it a try if no one else wants it. I think I even recognize a couple of these fabrics. Shocking I know :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews