Thursday, May 12, 2011

Pattern Drafting 101: Pattern Care

Today I'll be talking about how I care for and store my patterns. Everyone is different and I'd love to hear how others take care of their patterns. I'm sure others would too!


When I bring home a new pattern I usually take it out and cut it apart. Before I use it to cut out a new outfit I'll run a warm iron, no steam, over the tissue paper to get out any wrinkles.

When I'm done with my pattern, I never attempt to try to fit it back into it's regular pocket. Instead, I store everything in a gallon sized baggie. These bags are a life saver for me! I can keep everything in one place and not worry about trying to shove it back into that small pocket.

I also have a large selection of patterns. Storage can be an issue but I've found a large clear storage box to be the best solution.

When I use a pattern a lot or need it for several sizes I make a hard copy of it. You can use anything to make a copy of a pattern, tissue paper, wrapping paper, etc. I use medium weight non-fusible interfacing. I like the weight and durability of it. I lay down my original pattern then place my interfacing on top and trace the size I need, making sure to also copy the any notches or other markings. On my hard copy I also write the pattern name, number and size for future reference. I also store these with my original pattern in the gallon baggie.

And that is the basics on pattern care. Do you have any more suggestions? I'd love to hear them!

Total Pageviews